9.12.2009

Nerdiest Thing Ever 2.0 (Custom Charging Station)


Book Charging Station

Charging Station Made of Books


I finally finished my original book modification project, a stack of books transformed into a charging station. This project was the spring board for my USB/Card Reader combo mod, but took more time, so I guess it's actually the beta version of the Nerdiest Thing Ever.




Book Charging Station

Charging My iPhone


After I came up with the idea for this piece, it took several months and plenty of antique store/used book store/rummage sale visits to find the books I wanted to modify. Not only did the books have to be large enough to hold my various devices and chargers, but I was very picky about both the appearance of the books (I wanted a a variety of fun colors and interesting spines and cover designs) and their titles. I ended up using 5 books: National Geographic Magazine anthology from Jan-June of 1927, the Modern Library of Knowledge, Repented at Leisure by Berthat M. Clay, The Woman of Mystery by Leblanc, and Funk and Wagnals New Standard Encyclopedia.


Cords



Power Tools

Tools of the Trade


The hardest part was finding a book large enough to hold a power strip and the necessary power adapters and extensions, so I ended up making the bottom two books the bases, in order to fit everything. The top book charges my iPhone or any of my ipods (just not all at once), while in their cases; the second book holds my AA battery charger; and the third book hold the charger for my SLR battery. All of the components can be charging at once, and all of the books close completely even when in use. The books are also attached to each other with screws, so that each book can be opened without toppling the stack. For construction, I used pretty much the same method as for my USB/Card Reader combo, except with a few more "learning opportunities".



Book Charging Station


Book Charging Station


Book Charging Station


Book Charging Station


Book Charging Station

1 comment: