6.21.2009

Not a Phone (iPod Touch)

I haven’t had a cell phone for several months now and I don’t miss it one bit. When I did have a phone, I didn’t care enough to keep track of it (or would purposely leave it at home); when I did have it in my possession it was rarely charged. My closest friends and family knew the best way to get a hold of me was to send an email – if I didn’t answer within a few hours, I didn’t want to be found.

iPod Touch

iPod Touch

As much as I hate phones, particularly of the mobile variety, I began to envy those who could use their phones to do everything from jot notes to tweet to check email; I even missed being able to text. There are even a few situations when I need to be out and about but reachable (like this week, at the SkillsUSA National Conference, where texting is best way to track down missing students). So I decided I needed some sort of mobile device that was smaller than a laptop but could be used to send text messages. Enter the iPod Touch.

I have had my iPod Touch for less than 48 hours, but am completely enamored with it. Here’s what I love about Gnada (That’s my iPod’s name. More on my device naming later):

  1. Keeping Connected – I have my iPod set to sync with my Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. I particularly like that new emails are pushed to my iPod as soon as I get an internet connection.
  2. Texting - I think that texting is one of the best communication methods. Texting is unobtrusive, short, and quiet.
  3. Evernote gone mobile - Evernote is one of my favorite productivity tools – it is the external hard drive to my brain. I use Evernote to remember code snippets & command, record titles of books to read or movies to see, collect recipes, take notes at seminars, and anything I will probably forget. Being able to do this on-the-go is even better. I even paid $9.95 for the software upgrade necessary for the new Evernote app.
  4. Offline Reading - Thanks to Read It Later, I always have a list of webpages to read, and now I can use my iPod to download pages to have reading material available regardless of wifi availability. Eventually I will learn how to use the iPod as an e-book reader too.
  5. Social Networking – Having access to Twitter and Facebook more often means I have less catching up when I do finally have a moment to sit at my computer.
  6. It’s not a phone – People still can’t call me.

As much as I love my iPod, there are already a few (okay, two) things I wish it had/could do. Granted, I could have these features with an iPhone, but I simply can’t afford a monthly plan right now, so instead I shall wish for a iPod that can:

  1. Access a 3G network (I’d even pay a monthly fee, just not $70/month!)
  2. Take pictures and video.

The funny thing is that I don’t have any music on Gnada yet, and I haven’t decided if I will even put music on it – I already have iPod that stores my entire music collection, so I may just save all 8GB for data.

Already have an iPod Touch? I’d love to hear any tips you may have, especially suggestions for apps to install.

2 comments:

  1. There's a nice combination of apps you can use. I like to divide them between ones I can use with an internet connection and ones I can use without a connection.

    If you like reading, use Stanza. You can download free Project Gutenberg titles, and find other free book downloads. You can pay for some as well. Books are always with you.

    If you use Google Docs, you can view and download locally on your Ipod using MiGhtyDocs.

    If you like music online, you can try Pandora (online only).

    You can make your Ipod Touch into a phone by downloading Skype (people can't call you on it, but you can call them.) You have to pay for Skype though, but it's cheaper than $70.

    WiFinder is good to find wifi locations in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff. MiGhtyDocs was one of the first apps I downloaded; it is so convient to have mobile (and even offline) access to my documents. I'll be sure to check the others you've listed - Stanza and WiFinder sound particularly useful.

    ReplyDelete