4.04.2009

Converting Your Desktop into a Digital Bulletin Board

One of my favorite productivity apps is Stixy, an online, personal bulletin board service. With a free Stixy account, you can create an unlimited amount of digital bulletin boards with sticky notes, to-do reminders, pictures, and even documents. Notes can be customized with different colors & fonts, and Todos can be set to send email reminders.

I love using Stixy as a visual way to organize my thoughts, but I hate having to open an internet browser every time I want to add something. To remedy this, I’ve set Stixy to be my desktop background, using the Windows features that enables users to embed webpages on the desktop. The webpage is fully interactive, and is even available offline, in case I want to make changes when I don’t have an internet connection. I do occasionally miss the visual stimulus of my ever-changing background, but since I can add pictures to my Stixy boards, not all is lost.

Want a digital bulletin board of your own? Here’s how to set it up:

Adding Stixy to your Desktop

  1. Login to Stixy
    • If you don’t already have a Stixy account, go to Stixy.com to signup.
    • If you have an account, go to Stixy and login.
  2. Go to your desktop, right-click on an empty space, and select ‘Properties’
  3. Go to the Desktop tab and click ‘Customize Desktop’
  4. Go to the Web tab and click ‘New…’
  5. Enter http://stixy.com into the Location box and click ‘Next’
  6. Windows will connect to Stixy and then ask you to confirm adding it to your desktop; to add a synchronization schedule (to update any changes you make while offline) click customize, otherwise, click ‘Okay’.
  7. Click ‘Okay’ on both the Desktop Items and Display Properties windows.

Configuring you Bulletin Board


Configuring Your Bulletin Board

Configuring Your Bulletin Board


To take full advantage of Stixy, it is best to make it as large as possible; there are two ways of doing this:

  1. Split – Have your bulletin board take up as much space as it can, without covering your desktop icons.
    1. Hover your mouse over the left-hand corner of the window and click on the black triangle that appears
    2. From the dropdown menu, select ‘Split Desktop with Icons’
  1. Maximize – Cover your Desktop with the bulletin board.
    1. Hover your mouse over the left-hand corner of the window and click on the black triangle that appears
    2. From the dropdown menu, select ‘Cover Desktop’


Desktop Bulletin Board

My Desktop Bulletin Board

In this mode, you can continue to have icons or other desktop objects float on top of your bulletin board.

Or, you can hide your desktop icons altogether (right-click on desktop > Arrange Icons By > Hide Desktop Icons), leaving just your bulletin board.

If bulletin boards are not your thing, this technique will work with almost any other webpage you could want to make your desktop background.

12 comments:

  1. Can I do this on a mac?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this able to be done on a vista computer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure about a Mac, however, I know that it is not possible using Vista, unless more recent updates or a third-party app have made it so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u from indonesia. Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    This can be done on the Mac by way of a freeware app called WebDesktop

    Download it from here:
    http://www.freemacware.com/webdesktop/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can this be done with Windows 7? I can't get properties when I right-click on my desktop...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been told that this feature was removed in Windows 7, BUT that the minibrowser gadget (http://gallery.live.com/LiveItemDetail.aspx?li=83ad7bc9-48d7-455f-b659-d3f58cc11155) provides similar functionality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It worked absolutely fine for me on a Mac after downloading the freemacware.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I'm looking for a way to make a digital bulletin board for our family's 3 computers, so that they are always synced. So, for example, I can be at work and add a note, image, file, etc. to the board for my kids to see from their computer at home. I plan to try this tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you can do it by adding a shortcut from the webpage that will take you straight to your board. try right clicking the address bar or looking through the options menu! it's very easy with google chrome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Very exicited to try this out. Just learned of Stixy this week while browsing for some way to share our department info/data.

    ReplyDelete